IndyFont v. 1.135 is out with a ton of new features and improvements: manage an extended set of OpenType features, instantly declare alternates for the selected glyphs, use the Effects panel to easily generate “faux italics”, condensed typefaces, sharp-edged forms, and much more. Give a look at the fully updated manual (40 pages) and get ready to create your own OpenType fonts from within InDesign CS4/CS5/CS6/CC (including CC 2014)…
Let's make it short: IndyFont is an OpenType font builder—created by Theunis de Jong (2012)—which is now known as the most spectacular InDesign script on the market. If you have never heard of this tool before, take a look at the user's guide and you'll get started:
New Features in version 1.135
Here are some of the new key features:
• Support for additional OpenType features: 'titl' (titling), 'sups' (superiors), 'subs' (inferiors), and all positional forms ('init', 'fina', 'isol', 'medi')—in addition to 'liga' (ligatures), 'smcp' (small caps), 'swsh' (swashes), 'onum' (oldstyle figures), 'zero' (slashed zero)… See details in the manual.
• Effects panel: skewing characters from
20° degree angle, changing width (horizontal scale), sharp-edged glyphs, fixed Right Side Bearing.
• New user interface making the Glyph List easier to manage and allowing “quick apply” of OTF tags.
• InDesign CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC and CC 2014 compatible, on Mac OS and Windows platforms.
…and so much more!
Give it a try!
IndyFont's TRY version offers most of the features of the PRO release, except it will only allow to export a single character per font. If you have to manage entire character sets, consider to purchase a PRO version license.
• Installation. — The TRY and PRO versions of IndyFont are both delivered in the jsx format. You simply need to put the file in your Scripts Panel folder. The script is instantly available in the InDesign Scripts panel.
• Note. — If you cannot find the location of your Scripts Panel folder, run InDesign and display the Scripts panel (Window > Automation > Scripts or Window > Utilities > Scripts). Then right-click the User folder and, in the fly-out menu, pick Reveal in Finder (Mac OS) or Reveal in Explorer (Windows). If there is not already a Scripts Panel subfolder within the revealed Scripts folder, create here a new folder named Scripts Panel.
IndyFont Screencasts, Tutorials and Reviews
• You can see IndyFont in action on IndiscriptsTV. Many tutorials are available.
• Mike Rankin (editor in chief of CreativePro.com and InDesign Mag) released a huge Font Management Essential Training course at Lynda.com where he demoes the basic functionalities of IndyFont. Lynda offers free access to that part of the screencast :)
• Ralf Herrmann has published, in German, an awesome review of IndyFont Pro: »Mit IndyFont Schriften in InDesign erstellen« (Typografie.info).
• Another nice article by Thierry Herman on Graphic Side of Life (in French): « Polices privées ».
• Don't miss this brilliant IndyFont review and demo by Robert Kaltenbrunn on Absatzsetzer (in German): »Schriften in Heimarbeit«.
IndyFont has been created by Theunis de Jong (aka Jongware). The very original demo version was available on the Internet in 2012. Then, Theunis and I co-authored and improved the final release, IndyFont 1.1, which is now available at indiscripts.com.
Thanks a lot to Birgit Stolte who has provided German localization.
Our very special thanks to our beta-testers, in no special order: Joel Cherney, John Hawkinson, Peter Kahrel, Dominique Chiron, Marijan Tompa, and Peter Spier.